Quantcast
Napoles
Latest Stories

10th whistle-blower sings: I gave cash to Enrile chief aide

By

Jessica “Gigi” Reyes File Photo

A new witness in the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam has surfaced and implicated a former top aide of Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile in the scheme purportedly masterminded by fugitive businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles.

A driver, the 10th witness to come forward claimed in an interview with the INQUIRER on Wednesday that he and another employee handed millions of pesos in cash to Lucila Jessica “Gigi” Reyes in the La Vista, Quezon City house of the lawyer who was then Enrile’s chief of staff.

This was before Reyes reportedly resigned in December last year in the aftermath of the selective distribution of Christmas bonuses to senators by the then Senate President, the new witness said.

“I was the driver of the courier of the money from Madam Janet and saw him take out bundles of cash from a duffel bag and place them on a table in the sala in front of Attorney Gigi,” the witness said in the interview in the presence of other whistle-blowers and their counsel at a safe house in Metro Manila.

The 10th accuser named the courier as John Reymund de Asis, also a JLN employee and president of Kaupdanan Para sa Mangunguma Foundation Inc., one of several dozen NGOs allegedly controlled by Napoles.

“Apart from driving De Asis to deliver money, I also drive him around on the order of Madam Janet,” Levito Baligod, counsel of the whistle-blowers, said.

Reyes did not answer calls by the Inquirer for comment. She earlier denied she was a contact of the Napoles group. “I do not know Benhur Luy and I challenge him to prove his claim that I am ‘their contact’—whoever he was referring to,” Reyes said last week.

Luy was the principal whistle-blower in the racket that involved turning allocations in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel, of senators and congressmen and funds from other state agencies into kickbacks. Luy was a cousin and employee of Napoles who was detained for three months by the businesswoman and her brother, Reynald Lim.

Witness can’t be named yet

Rescued in March by agents of the National Bureau of Investigation, Luy said he was kept hostage by Napoles because she suspected he was out to compete with her in her racket converting funds meant for rural development, farmers and typhoon victims into ghost projects using dummy nongovernment organizations (NGOs) over the past 10 years.

Nine former Napoles employees and relatives had joined the 31-year-old Luy in his accusations against the businesswoman. Five senators and 23 members of the House of Representatives allegedly gave Napoles access to their PDAF allocations.

Baligod allowed the Inquirer to talk to the new witness on the condition that he would not be identified. “These are simple people and could be in danger when exposed prematurely,” Baligod said.

Bundles of money

 

The whistle-blower said that after bundles of money were placed on the table in the Reyes residence, De Asis got the bag back. He said there was no other person in the living room when the money was given.

He explained that he accompanied De Asis as he got off the vehicle to the main door which was left open. “I stood at the door and from there I could clearly see the activity inside,” the 10th whistle-blower said.

Baligod said based on the statements of the newest witness, the deliveries were made between 2009 and 2011 in upscale subdivisions in Makati City and Reyes’ Quezon City residence.

“There were three deliveries, two to the house of Ruby Tuason at Dasmariñas Village in Makati City and the other one was in La Vista Village in Quezon City,” Baligod said.

The new whistle-blower said that it was always Napoles who ordered him to drive the courier to deliver the money to Reyes.

Baligod also said that the 10th whistle-blower also personally drove for Napoles.

“The ninth and 10th whistle-bowers were employed by Napoles at the same time and in some occasions were with her when she met with legislators,” Baligod said.

Red book

The ninth whistle-blower said in her affidavit that she acted as Napoles’ girl Friday for a time. She said she also picked up gifts for lawmakers and was present when Napoles had dinners with lawmakers in expensive restaurants.

She also corroborated an earlier statement of Luy that Napoles kept “a red book that contained records of her transactions with senators and congressman.”

However, Napoles in a round-table interview with the Inquirer denied having this book.

The new witness also corroborated statements of other whistle-blowers that they signed documents with fabricated names on orders of Napoles, who went into hiding last week after a court issued a warrant for her arrest, and that of her brother Reynald Lim, for the serious illegal detention of Luy.

Nine former Napoles employees have corroborated Luy’s accusations, including two last week who refused to be named for security reasons.

The ninth whistle-blower said dinners with the lawmakers were in expensive restaurants, like Greenhills Stone Grill and Tsukiji in Makati City.

She said Napoles asked her to buy gifts for the senators. “One time she asked me to pick a ball pen, Montblanc, worth P65,000 from Rustan’s,” she said, adding she paid for it in cash.

“I had to get the ball pen the following day because it had to be engraved with the senator’s name,” she said. With a report from Norman Bordadora

 

 

Related Stories:

Chief aide in charge of Enrile’s PDAF deals

Enrile ready to be punished over pork barrel scam if…

Napoles surrenders to Aquino


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Janet Lim Napoles , Juan Ponce Enrile , Lucila Jessica “Gigi” Reyes , P10-billion pork barrel scam , pork barrel scam , whistle blower




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • 20 killed as Islamic extremists rampage in Nigeria
  • Drug firm Novartis to help Leyte firefighter
  • Fears grow for hundreds missing in South Korea ferry capsize
  • Robot sub makes first complete search for plane
  • uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement