Benhur Luy, family agree to be placed under witness protectionBy Tetch Torres-Tupas
MANILA, Philippines—The whistleblower on the P10-billion pork barrel scam has already agreed to be included in the government’s Witness Protection Program (WPP), Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said Thursday.
De Lima said initially, she offered Luy and his family be placed under government’s protection. But he declined.
“I already offered that he and the members of his family be placed under WPP coverage but they turn it down. But because of the series of exposé in a leading newspaper and because this issue has become very sensational, I offered it again through Atty. [Levito] Baligud and he was able to convince his client to accept our offer,” De Lima told reporters in a chance interview.
On the other hand, the five other whistleblowers are still with their families. Two of the five may also be given security.
Baligud said “one whistleblower has an active threat against her.”
“A motorcycle-riding person allegedly followed her until she reached her house but we have already addressed that. We are now evaluating if she needs to be secured. We are also considering if they should apply with the WPP,” Baligud added.
Benhur Luy exposed the P10 billion pork barrel scam allegedly perpetrated by Janet Lim-Napoles and his brother of the JLN Group of Companies where he was previously connected
Luy identified five senators and 23 members of the House of Representatives in the scam.