Duterte slams local officials for ‘serious neglect’ of Boracay
President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened to charge with “serious neglect of duty” local officials in Boracay for allowing the world-famous tourist destination to be a pit of human waste.
“I will charge you for serious neglect of duty, making Boracay a fishpond or a sewer pool,” Duterte said in a speech in Cebu City on Monday.
Duterte slammed local officials for being too “zealous” in allowing the construction of establishments in the island even without proper sewerage system.
“Yang mga local governments, yung mg tao diyan, I’m addressing myself now diyan sa Boracay. Hinahayaan ninyo yung mga bagay-bagay na building of structures, overlapping the coast line. Nandoon na sa dagat mismo, which is not really allowed,” he said.
“And you allowed buildings to be constructed without the proper sewer or sewerage. Inyo iyan eh,” he added.
The President said he was confident Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu would address the issue.
“It is Cimatu alone who will decide,” Duterte said. “If he thinks that he has to destroy there, he has to destroy. He has my complete trust and confidence.”
Duterte had earlier likened Boracay to a “cesspool” and threatened to shut down the island resort. /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.