Close  

DOJ OKs filing rap vs alleged Spanish terrorist

/ 01:21 PM February 12, 2018

An interpreter from the Spanish embassy explains the contents of the counter affidavit to Abdelhakim Labidi Adib, a Spanish national of Tusian descent arrested in Basilan. INQUIRER.net / Tetch Torres-Tupas

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has approved the filing of criminal case against a 20-year old Spanish man suspected to be a terrorist who was arrested in Basilan last month.

Facing a case for violation of Presidential Decree 1866 as amended by Republic Act 9516 or the Law on Illegal Possession of Firearms and Explosives  is Abdelhakim Labidi Adib, a Spanish national of Tunisian descent. The case has been filed before the Isabela City, Basilan regional trial court.

ADVERTISEMENT

In an eight page resolution made public Monday,  the DOJ has found probable cause in the complaint filed by the 14th special forces company of the Philippine Army against the foreign national with reported links to Islamic State – linked Maute terror group.

“The hand grenade and rifle grenade recovered from the possession of respondent are ‘explosives’ since they are capable of producing destructive effect on contiguous objects or causing injury to death to any person,” the DOJ resolution signed by its panel of investigators led by Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Peter Ong.

FEATURED STORIES

“The mere possession of the above articles constitutes prima facie evidence that respondent had knowledge of the existence and the explosive of incendiary character of the articles,” the DOJ said.

The DOJ rejected Adib’s claim that he went to the Philippines, particularly in Davao City, Cagayan De Oro, Zamboanga and Basilan for adventure and to find a woman “that will complete his happiness.”

“Respondent’s [Adib] stories about his tour, his escapades with Abuzaid; and his visit to the Yakan Tribe in Basilan are unbelievable especially so that Basilan is internationally known to be a turf of the Abu Sayyaf Group,” the DOJ resolution stated.

Adib denied owning the bag containing the explosives. He added that the people where he stayed in Basilan took his 1,000 Francs but left his P8, 520.

“It is contrary to human experience that the person who took respondent’s 1,000 Francs will not take his P8,520.00,” the DOJ said adding that Adib’s denial “is a weak defense and cannot prevail over positive declarations of complainant’s witnesses.”

Based on the complaint filed by the 14th Special Forces Company of the Philippine Army,  Adib was arrested last Jan. 22 at a military checkpoint in Basilan. He was supposedly accompanied by an Abu Sayyaf member who was one of the targets of the military but was able to escape by jumping off a cliff.

Seized from him were a hand grenade, rifle grenade, detonating devices and blasting caps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Records showed that he arrived in Manila on Oct. 10 last year and he went straight to Davao where he visited  several attractions before proceeding to Cagayan De Oro (CDO). In CDO, He said he met a certain Abuzaid who claimed to be part of the Yakan tribe. He said he offered to take him to his tribe and introduce him to its culture.  /je

READ: AFP files complaint vs Spanish man over illegal firearms, explosives

READ: Visiting Basilan: A tale of a tourist or terrorist?

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Criminal case, Department of Justice, DoJ, filing, spanish, suspected terrorist
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.