Ex-Comelec chief Bautista no show again at Senate probe
Former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chair Andres “Andy” Bautista was still a no-show at Monday’s Senate committee inquiry into his possible violation of the Anti-Money Laundering Act.
In a letter submitted before the panel dated Jan. 31, Bautista said contrary to the committee’s claim, he had not received any invitation to appear before the inquiry of the Senate committee on banks, financial institutions and currencies.
Because of this, he asked the panel to recall its subpoena.
Bautista said he was out of the country since November 21 last year to “explore professional opportunities” and “seek assistance for certain medical challenge” he was facing.
A subpoena was issued against Bautista during the Jan. 23 Senate hearing after he snubbed the probe for the third time since it started in August 2017.
Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero, who chairs the committee, earlier said he would compel the Senate to hold Bautista in contempt and move for his arrest under Section 18 of the Rules Governing Inquiries in Aid of Legislation, if he failed to attend the hearing.
Bautista’s wife, Patricia, who was present at the hearing, has accused him of amassing nearly P1-billion in unexplained wealth, an allegation Bautista has repeatedly denied. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.