PNP: 21 alleged drug offenders killed in single day in Bulacan
The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Bulacan said on Tuesday that simultaneous anti-drug operations in the northern province have left 21 alleged drug offenders dead.
Police officials said this could be the highest death toll in a single day since President Rodrigo Duterte launched his “war on drugs” in July last year.
Senior Superintendent Romeo M. Caramat Jr., Bulacan police director, said Tuesday that operations in Bulacan province in the past 24 hours left 21 dead and 64 others arrested. Police disclosed the suspects had offered armed resistance against arresting officers.
Police records show since the crackdown started, 3,264 alleged drug offenders have been killed in gunbattles with law enforcers. More than 2,000 others died in drug-related homicides, including attacks by motorcycle-riding masked gunmen.
Human-rights groups report a higher toll and demand an independent investigation into government officials’ possible role in the violence. JPV
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.