Close  

NCRPO sees no terror threat following casino attack

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 05:55 PM June 02, 2017

SWAT members of the Philippine National Police arrive at the Resorts World Manila complex early Friday, June 2, 2017 in suburban Pasay city southeast of Manila, Philippines. Gunshots and explosions rang out early Friday at a mall, casino and hotel complex near Manila’s international airport in the Philippine capital, sparking a security alarm amid an ongoing Muslim militant siege in the country’s south. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

Security officials have not monitored any terrorist threat in Metro Manila after the fatal incident where a lone gunman burst into a casino in Pasay City early Friday morning.

“Well, generally Metro Manila we enjoy peace and order ‘no. Maganda ‘yung prevailing peace and order dito sa Metro Manila. We have not monitored any threat on terrorism dito sa Metro Manila,” National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Chief Dir. Oscar Albayalde said in a Palace briefing on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Albayalde said the government’s intelligence community was “in constant monitoring” of terrorist groups in Metro Manila.

Asked whether the incident in Resort World Manila would prompt the declaration of martial law or the suspension of the privilege of habeas corpus, the police official said they have not recommended such to President Rodrigo Duterte.

FEATURED STORIES

“We did not recommend anything on that issue, especially to the President ‘no. It’s only the President who can decide on that,” he said.

Despite saying that Metro Manila was free of terror threat, Albayalde said the Philippine National Police (PNP) was on full alert.

“The Philippine National Police is on full alert, not the public. It’s the Philippine National Police, especially the NCRPO. We did not downgrade our alert status since after the Davao bombing incident last year,” he said.

Amid the reports of terror threat and the fatal incident at Resorts World Manila, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla appealed to the public not to spread and believe on fake news.

READ: Don’t spread fake news about Resorts World incident, Palace asks public

“Generally, a lot of quarters overreact to situations like these especially we are having all these events in Mindanao following the declaration of martial law and the hostilities in Marawi,” Padilla said.

“Be discerning on what you get on social media and find out if there is basis to believe that news. Do not pass on any news that may be fake,” he added. JPV

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: casino attack, casino gunman, Peace and Order, PNP‎, Resorts World Manila
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.