Close  
Take heed of his warning

Erap: Barangay leaders positive for drugs face dismissal

/ 01:06 AM January 18, 2017
ESTRADA

ESTRADA

Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada revealed on Monday that several of the city’s barangay chairs had been found positive for drug use after undergoing mandatory testing.

In a statement, Estrada said that he did not have the exact figures yet, adding that they would release the information once the Manila Health Department has completed its confirmatory tests.

ADVERTISEMENT

In November, he ordered the conduct of mandatory drug testing for 7,168 barangay officials as part of the city’s intensive war on drugs. At press time, around 60 percent of all 896 barangay leaders had been tested. Barangay councilors are expected to follow suit soon.

The move was prompted by an antidrug operation at the Islamic Center in Quiapo last October in which the chair of Barangay 648, Faiz Macabato, was killed in an alleged shootout with the police.

FEATURED STORIES

Six others also died in that operation, among them a former barangay councilor, while over 200 people were rounded up.

Estrada said that elected officials confirmed to be drug users would be punished in accordance with the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, Administrative Code of 1987 and the Civil Service Commission. Aside from dismissal from the service, they also face criminal and administrative charges, he warned.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: barangay captains, Joseph Estrada, Manila, Philippine news updates, war on drugs
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Palace open to ending ‘Oplan: Tokhang’

November 12, 2019 04:56 AM

newsinfo

Lorenzana not keen on new martial law extension

November 12, 2019 04:55 AM

newsinfo

Ground cracks pose danger to villagers

November 12, 2019 04:53 AM

newsinfo

Locsin to deny entry to rights defender

November 12, 2019 04:52 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.