DOH: Firecracker injuries now over a hundred
As of 6 a.m. Friday, the number of firecracker-related injuries has reached over a hundred, according to Department of Health assistant secretary and spokesperson Dr. Eric Tayag.
Tayag said 115 fireworks-related injuries and one case of ingestion had been reported based on the government’s Iwas Paputok database.
Of the 115 victims, 108 were males aged 3 to 62 years old; 78 percent or 89 were children under 15 years old; 69 were injured due to piccolo firecrackers, and 21 suffered eye injuries.
Half of the cases or a total of 63 came from the National Capital Region (NCR).
Though the number increased from the 90 recorded cases on Wednesday, Tayag said the latest figure was 38 percent lower than last year’s 187 victims during the same period./rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.