Firecracker injuries rise to 90; still lower by 39 percent — DOH
As the New Year approached, the number of firecracker-related injuries had reached 90 as of 6 a.m. Wednesday, according to Health Assistant Secretary and Spokesman Dr. Eric Tayag.
The victims were between 3 and 62 years old. Most are male.
Tayag said that of the reported firecracker injuries, 69 were children. Twenty-one sustained eye injuries, he added.
Of the reported injuries, 52 were due to the prohibited piccolo firecracker.
One was due to firework ingestion.
While the number of firework-related injuries increased from 70 last Dec. 26 to 90 two days later, Tayag said the figure was still 39 percent lower compared to the 147 reported for the same period last year.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.