Gaming tycoon ‘no comment’ on Duterte arrest order
The camp of gaming tycoon Jack Lam on Sunday declined to comment on the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to have him arrested for alleged bribery and economic sabotage.
“No comment,” said lawyer Raymond Fortun, legal counsel of Lam, in a text message to INQUIRER.net
Asked whether he had already talked to Lam, Fortun said, “No word from him.”
On Saturday, PNP Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said President Rodrigo Duterte had ordered the arrest of Lam.
READ: Duterte orders immediate arrest of Lam for bribery
Dela Rosa said Mr. Duterte wanted Lam arrested for bribery and economic sabotage, but said no formal charges had been filed against him.
“We will look for a way to enforce the President’s orders. We will take full responsibility if we will be charged with illegal arrest as long as we have a basis (to arrest him),” he said.
Aside from ordering the arrest, the President also moved to shut down Lam’s casinos in the country.
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II earlier said Lam, through his representative, former policeman Wally Sombero, attempted to bribe him in a meeting at the Shangri-La hotel at The Fort two days after the arrest of illegal Chinese workers.
Asked whether Lam was still in the country, Fortun said he could not disclosed it due to “lawyer-client privilege.” CBB/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.