Fart sparks fire during surgery in Japan; patient seriously burnt | Inquirer News
Close  

Fart sparks fire during surgery in Japan; patient seriously burnt

/ 05:54 PM October 31, 2016

A patient’s fart during a surgical procedure allegedly sparked a fire which caused her to be seriously burned, the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward said.

The incident was reported in Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

ADVERTISEMENT

The fire occurred at the university hospital in Tokyo on April 15. The patient, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation which involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus.

The laser is believed to have been ignited by the gas she passed. The fire burned much of her body, including her waist and legs, the report said.

FEATURED STORIES

A committee of external experts who examined the case said in a report released on Oct 28 that no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery.

It also mentioned that the operation equipment was functioning normally.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: burn, fart, Fire, hospital, Japan, medical, surgery, Tokyo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.