10 outstanding policewomen of PH feted
Amid the controversies hounding the Philippine National Police (PNP) with some of its members being linked to drugs, ten policewomen were feted for their exemplary service to the PNP and the gallantry they displayed in spite of being in a male-dominated institution.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) awarded the ten outstanding policewomen in the country for year 2016 in a simple ceremony at Camp Crame on Wednesday. They were:
- Superintendent Criselda de Guzman, Deputy chief of police for operations of Muntinlupa Police Station; 19 years in police service
- Superintendent Elizabeth Velasquez, Police Community Relations chief and Spokesperson of Highway Patrol Group; 37 years in service
- Inspector Anjanette Tirador, Investigation Unit chief of Tagum City Police Station in Davao del Norte; 17 years in service
- Inspector Jenelyn Kiwingan, officer in charge, Calanasan Municipal Police Station, Apayao Provincial Police Office; four years in service
- Inspector Sheryl Bautista, Regional Anti Human Trafficking Task Force assistant team leader, assistance chief of intelligence operation branch at Central Visayas regional police; four years in service
- PO3 Aileen Catugas, chief of pre-charge investigation unit provincial investigation and detective management branch at Lingayen, Pangasinan police; eight years in service
- PO3 Abigail Rayala, Women and Children’s Protection Desk in Oas municipal police station, Albay Provincial Police Office; 12 years in service
- PO3 Maricar Anastacio, Women and Children’s Protection Desk in Guiguinto municipal police station in Bulacan; five years in service
- PO2 Lalaine Castro, Family Juvenile Gender Section in Eastern Visayas regional police; five years in service
- PO1 Haidelyn Arevalo, Police Community Relations officer at Aroroy municipal police station, Masbate police provincial office; five years in service
Each awardee received a 9 millimeter pistol from Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor), P30,000 cash, certificate and trophy.
“Once again you have proven that in the world of law enforcement that is of course dominated by men, women are fast making a difference as they continue to achieve extraordinary feats in the service of country and people,” Police Director Ramon Apolinario, the PNP chief for directorial staff, said in his speech.
“Our ten outstanding policewomen have their own stories to tell. Stories of exemplary service and gallantry that will serve as inspiration to other policewomen and policemen and all members of the uniformed service to always render their best in the performance of their duties,” Apolinario said.
Apolinario praised the awardees for giving the PNP a good image, proving to the people that the police force is “composed of personnel who serve with dignity and integrity while upholding the police ideals of service, honor and justice.”
The police official also called the female members of the PNP, who comprise 15 percent of the 170,000-strong force, the “light of the PNP.”
“Tulad ng kasabihan na ang kababaihan ang ilaw ng tahanan, nais ko ring sabihin na ang ating mga policewomen ang ilaw ng kapulisan (Just like the saying that goes ‘Women are the light of a home,’ I’d like to say that the policewomen are the light of the police force). They deserve our deepest gratitude,” Apolinario added. JE
PNP honors 10 outstanding policewomen
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.