Prima facie evidence found vs 2 active generals linked to drugs
(Updated) The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) found prima facie evidence against two of three active generals whom President Rodrigo Duterte publicly identified as drug protectors, Secretary Mike Sueno revealed Friday.
Although Sueno declined to name the two generals, he said both were formerly assigned in Metro Manila.
The National Police Commission (Napolcom), which is under the DILG’s supervision, has been investigating the alleged ties of active police generals, namely Chief Superintendents Joel Pagdilao, Edgardo Tinio and Bernardo Diaz, to the illegal drugs trade.
Pagdilao and Tinio were former chiefs of the National Capital Region Police Office and Quezon City Police District while Diaz was previously assigned at Western Visayas police.
Duterte also named in his speech weeks ago retired Deputy Director General Marcelino Garbo and retired Chief Superintendent Vicente Loot as coddlers of drug lords.
All five generals denied Duterte’s allegations of their connection to drugs.
“There was prima facie evidence against the (two generals) so we can now start the trial,” Sueno said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
But the secretary said they are still finalizing some details before filing charges against the involved generals.
“We will finish the investigation next week. Maybe it will take us seven to 10 days,” he said.
Sueno earlier said that once the Napolcom wraps up the investigation, the DILG will forward the findings to the Office of the President. IDL/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.