70-year-old woman dies in Tondo fire
A 70-year-old woman died in a Tondo, Manila fire which started early Friday morning, razing a shanty neighborhood and two apartment buildings nearby.
Firefighters and residents affected by the blaze identified the woman as Victoria Mila, more commonly called Aling Toyang, who lived in the shanty neighborhood on Narcisa Street with an 82-year-old woman and her granchildren.
Joyce Miranda, granddaughter of Mila’s housemate who was not at the house during the fire, said the blaze started in her grandmother and Mila’s home because of an illegal jumper connection.
Miranda said her older sister tried to seek help in putting out the fire when it sparked at around 3 a.m., but after failing to do so, she and her brother decided to rush their grandmother out.
Miranda said her siblings tried to go back for Mila but already found it difficult to do so because the blaze spread quickly.
Miranda added that Mila was already handicapped and couldn’t walk on her own anymore.
Manila Fire District officials said the fire reached Task Force Alpha at around 6 a.m. and was declared out six hours later. They estimated the cost of damages at P10 million.
William Thi, owner of the adjacent three-level apartment building which was also completely burned, said five families were affected by the fire.
A second residential building was partially burned by the fire, affecting only the right half. CDG
Couple loses 4 children, home in Leyte fire
News handpicked by our editors
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.