Boy killed as fires hit Cebu; Lighted candle, cell phone blamed
CEBU CITY, Philippines—A 16-year-old boy was killed in one of two fires that hit two villages in Cebu City early Thursday.
Jonathan Bihagan was sleeping in the house of his aunt Cherry Bihigan in Sitio (sub-village) Gansen Site, Barangay (village) Basak San Nicolas when the fire broke out at 12:15 a.m.
The teenager was not able to get out of the house. The fire also destroyed an adjacent house owned by Elimiliano Ellonado.
Arson investigator Edwin Jandayan said the fire in Bihigan’s house may have been caused by a lighted candle at the altar that was left unattended.
Almost three hours later, another fire broke out in Barangay Punta Princesa past 3 a.m. that destroyed the house of Federico Ruela.
No one was hurt in the fire caused by a plugged cellular phone that may have overheated. RAM/rga
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.