outbrain
Close  

83-year-old man dies in Cebu fire

By: - Day Desk Editor / @dbongcac
/ 08:37 AM March 02, 2016

CEBU CITY – An 83-year-old grandfather was killed in a fire that gutted down 19 houses Sitio Upper Kawayan in Barangay (village) Sambag 2 on Tuesday night.

The body of Eleuterio Jamiro, 83, was found inside his room located on the second floor of their house where the fire started at 9:38 p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbors said Jamiro was heard screaming for help but it was already difficult to save him since the fire had already engulfed his room.

Councilor Dave Tumulak, head of Cebu City’s command center, said the fire destroyed 19 houses, leaving 32 families consisting of 123 individuals homeless.

FEATURED STORIES

Fire investigators were still checking cause of the fire.

But neighbors said the fire may have been caused by an unattended candle or lamp, said Tumulak.

Jamiro’s house did not have electrical connection. The elderly used a candle or lamp as a light source in his room.

Tumulak said Jamiro was diabetic and often slept early at night. CDG

RELATED STORIES
At least 70 homes destroyed in Bacolod City fire

Fire hits residential area in Quiapo

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu, dead, Fire
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.