outbrain
Close  

Is Tolentino justifying ‘Playgirls scandal’ by comparing dancers to Madonna?

/ 02:56 PM February 24, 2016

Senatorial aspirant Francis Tolentino on Wednesday hit the Filipinos’ supposed double standard–saying that the public was ruthless in criticizing him for being involved with the girl group “Playgirls” yet they are raring to watch international pop star Madonna live.

Tolentino, in an interview with ANC’s Headstart, said that society’s “hypocrisy” was the reason why he drew flak for supposedly inviting the scantily-clad girls to perform during the birthday party of Laguna fourth district representative Benjamin Agarao right after a Liberal Party oath-taking last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In terms of societal hypocrisy and how you view things, you penalize a guy for something he’s already apologized [for], and yet you patronize all of these things in shows, noontime shows, and then you have a fully-booked Madonna show forthcoming. So okay lang ‘yun (that’s okay), blame it on societal hypocrisy, blame it on existing paradigms which sometimes we accept, sometimes we don’t,” Tolentino said.

READ: Playgirls’ twerking registers 1M views

FEATURED STORIES

Netizens’ outrage on the incident was swift and unforgiving toward Tolentino. Even women from the Liberal Party such as vice presidential candidate Leni Robredo and senatorial candidates Risa Hontiveros and Leila de Lima expressed dismay over the incident.

Tolentino apologized for the incident and days after, he volunteered to be dropped out from the administration’s senatorial slate.

READ: Francis Tolentino apologizes for Playgirls’ twerking boo-boo

Moving forward, the former Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chair said that the boo-boo “strengthened” his character.

“It has nothing to do with your performance as a government official, it has nothing to do with your character, I think it even strengthened my character, my resolve to ask forgiveness, maging mapagpakumbabang loob (to become humble), I think it is one phase in your life when you admit and ask forgiveness, let’s move on,” he said.

Tolentino also clarified that he has no pending cases filed before the Sandiganbayan, a proof that he is an honest official.

Madonna’s two-day concert in Manila will start on Wednesday, February 24. CDG

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Bishop urges boycott of Madonna concert

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: double standard, Elections 2016, Francis Tolentino, Madonna, Playgirls, scandal
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.