Mining operation in Agusan del Sur halted after destroying farmlands
SAN FRANCISCO, Agusan del Sur—The provincial government moved to stop an open pit mining operation in a remote area of Sibagat town after it was found out that it has already destroyed some 20 hectares of farmlands.
Governor Adolph Edward Plaza said Tuesday that the man behind the illegal gold mining activity in Barangay (village) Tabon-Tabon, identified as Romelito Palantang, and 20 of his workers, had been arrested last Friday and several pieces of heavy equipment and mining-related facilities had been seized.
Plaza said Palantang, a church pastor, only holds a sand and gravel quarrying permit from the provincial government and has no authority to extract gold.
He said investigators were conducting a deeper probe to determine if there were Chinese financiers behind Palantang’s activity. RAM
Black sand mining stops in Cagayan
Gov stops Paracale small-scale mining
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.