Close  

Justice seeking SC seat denies taking bribe

By: - Reporter / @JeromeAningINQ
/ 12:13 AM January 11, 2016

A COURT of Appeals (CA) justice has denied Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV’s claim that he and another magistrate received a P50-million bribe to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) blocking the Ombudsman’s suspension of Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay in March last year.

Justice Jose Reyes Jr. said he and the other members of the court’s Sixth Division, which issued the TRO, had been vindicated by the lack of evidence in the alleged bribery.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said their ultimate vindication was the Supreme Court’s upholding in November of the TRO and the subsequent writ of preliminary injunction (WPI) they issued.

“With the decision of the Supreme Court last Nov. 10, we all felt in the division [that] we were effectively vindicated because no less than the Supreme Court said—quite emphatically—that the WPI we issued was correct,” Reyes said last Friday during his public interview by the Judicial and Bar Council on his nomination to the Supreme Court.

FEATURED STORIES

Reyes wrote the CA ruling blocking Binay’s preventive suspension, which resulted from the Ombudsman’s filing of charges of alleged overpricing in the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.

The CA earlier called for an ethics probe into Trillanes’ bribery allegations but Reyes said no complaints had come out of it, nor was the magistrate ever required to formally comment on it.

To prove he had clean record, Reyes said he secured certifications from the National Bureau of Investigation, Integrated Bar of the Philippines and Philippine National Police attesting to this.

“It was of course a serious and unfounded allegation. It hurt me but I kept still. My conscience is clear. Our actuations were based on existing jurisprudence,” said Reyes, referring to the condonation doctrine, which clears a public official of administrative liability upon reelection.

The doctrine was struck down by the Supreme Court in the same November 2015 ruling on the Binay issue. “By merely following settled precedents, the high court said the appeals tribunal did not commit grave abuse of discretion,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Antonio Trillanes IV, Court of Appeals, Junjun Binay, justice for sale, Nation, news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
opinion

Celebrating Korea’s ties with Asean

November 18, 2019 01:00 AM

entertainment

Beauty and brains, with talent to boot

November 18, 2019 12:50 AM

entertainment

How Honne’s music exposes hidden feelings, meanings

November 18, 2019 12:40 AM

newsinfo

Former Sri Lankan defense chief wins presidential vote

November 17, 2019 10:03 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.