Ex-UN General Assembly head charged in bribe case freed | Inquirer News
Close  

Ex-UN General Assembly head charged in bribe case freed

/ 07:28 AM October 27, 2015
John Ashe

John Ashe, a former president of the United Nations General Assembly facing tax charges in a bribery case, leaves federal court, Monday, Oct. 26, 2015, in New York. Ashe was freed Monday after an electronic bracelet was attached and the last of four co-signers to his $1 million bail package were approved. AP Photo

NEW YORK, United States—A former president of the United Nations General Assembly facing tax charges in a bribery case was released Monday on $1 million bail even as a prosecutor said it was likely he will face additional charges.

READ: 5 not-guilty pleas and bail for a billionaire in UN case

ADVERTISEMENT

John Ashe, 61, was freed at dusk after an electronic bracelet was attached and the last of four co-signers to his bail package was approved. He declined to comment as he left Manhattan federal court.

Earlier in the day, Assistant U.S. Attorney Janis Echenberg told Judge Vernon S. Broderick that prosecutors were “rather likely” to bring additional charges against Ashe, a former U.N. ambassador from Antigua and Barbuda who served for a year in the largely ceremonial role of U.N. General Assembly president until September 2014. So far, he faces only tax counts that carry a maximum penalty of six years in prison.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Chinese billionaire granted bail in UN bribery scheme case

The U.S. government claims Ashe, of Dobbs Ferry, New York, was at the center of a bribery conspiracy from 2011 through 2014 in which Chinese billionaire Ng Lap Seng and other businesspeople paid him over $1 million in bribes to support a multibillion-dollar U.N.-sponsored conference center that Ng hoped to build as his legacy in Macau, where he lived.

Also charged in the case was Francis Lorenzo, a deputy U.N. ambassador from the Dominican Republic. Prosecutors said Lorenzo was paid tens of thousands of dollars a month by Ng’s organizations to support the Macau project.

Lorenzo, 48, and Ng, 67, also were freed on bail Monday. Lorenzo, who has been suspended from his diplomatic post, met the conditions of a $2 million bail package while Ng was released after posting $25 million of his $50 million bail and agreeing to pay for two private security guards around-the-clock at a Manhattan apartment to ensure he does not flee.

Lawyers for all three men have said they are fighting the charges and will be vindicated. Lawyers for Ashe and Lorenzo also say it is likely they will make immunity claims in the case.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bail, bribe, case, charges, general assembly, head, John Ashe, Tax, UN, United Nations
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.