New exposé vs VP Binay waiting for Thursday’s hearing, says Trillanes
There will be a new exposé and a new witness involving another alleged irregularity that happened during the term of Vice President Jejomar Binay as mayor of Makati City.
Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV said Sunday he would reveal all this on Thursday, the resumption of the hearings of the Senate blue ribbon subcommittee and the first anniversary of its investigation into the widened corruption allegations against Binay.
Speaking to dzIQ or Radyo Inquirer, Trillanes was reluctant to give details on his new exposé against Binay, saving it for Thursday’s hearing.
“This is a new issue that we discovered now that acting (Makati City) Mayor Kid Peña is sitting (in city hall),” he said.
The senator said a “new witness… would present documentary evidence” on Thursday.
“I have not come out with this issue yet,” Trillanes said.
In a text message to the Inquirer later, he said the new issue against Binay happened “from the time the Vice President was mayor up to Junjun Binay’s time.
He was referring to the younger Binay who is serving a six-month suspension ordered by the Office of the Ombudsman, which in turn is investigating him for the alleged overprice of the Makati City Hall Building II.
The blue ribbon subcommittee has conducted 23 hearings so far and came up last May with a partial report in which it recommended that Binay, his son and other people be charged with plunder over the overpriced construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.
The Vice President has denied any wrongdoing, saying the corruption allegations against him are the work of his enemies out to spoil his presidential bid next year.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.