Korea reports sixth MERS death, surge in infections | Inquirer News
Close  

Korea reports sixth MERS death, surge in infections

/ 03:20 PM June 08, 2015

ADVERTISEMENT

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea recorded its sixth death and biggest single day jump in Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) infections Monday, with 23 new cases in the largest outbreak of the potentially deadly virus outside Saudi Arabia.

From just four cases two weeks ago, the total number of infections now stands at 87, including six people who have died.

FEATURED STORIES

The latest fatality was a man in his 80s who had been diagnosed in Daejeon, 140 kilometers south of Seoul, and died in hospital on Monday morning, local officials said.

BACKSTORY: Korea struggles to contain MERS; becomes 4th with most cases

The outbreak has triggered widespread public concern in South Korea, with 2,300 people placed under quarantine orders and nearly 1,900 schools — mostly in Seoul and surrounding Gyeonggi province — closed down.

Among the 23 new cases, 17 were infected at the Samsung Medical Centre in southern Seoul, the health ministry said.

Tourists wearing masks as a precaution against MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, virus watch a ceremony at the Gyeongbok Palace, one of South Korea's well-known landmarks, in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, June 7, 2015. A fifth person in the country has died of the MERS virus, as the government announced Sunday it was strengthening measures to stem the spread of the disease and public fear. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

Tourists wearing masks as a precaution against MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, virus watch a ceremony at the Gyeongbok Palace, one of South Korea’s well-known landmarks, in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, June 7, 2015. AP

All the infections so far have been restricted to hospitals, with transmissions between patients, staff and their families.

Criticized for its initial response to the outbreak, the government on Sunday vowed “all-out” efforts to curb the further spread of the virus, including tracking the mobile phones of those under house quarantine to ensure they stay home.

READ: S. Korean health chief apologizes over MERS outbreak

Hundreds of public events, school trips and sporting events have been cancelled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Health authorities said they were expecting to see more new cases of those who had been infected from the Samsung hospital in recent weeks.

The Samsung Medical Centre — one of the South’s largest hospitals — has placed nearly 900 patients and medical staff under observation.

More than 20 countries have been affected by MERS, with most cases in Saudi Arabia.

The virus is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed hundreds of people when it appeared in Asia in 2003.

RELATED STORIES

Filipinos in S. Korea urged to guard against MERS-CoV

China confirms first case of MERS, a South Korean man

 Originally posted: 9:50 AM | Monday, June 8th, 2015

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Outbreak, Seoul, South korea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.