Close  

S.Korea announces first two MERS deaths—Yonhap

/ 08:52 AM June 02, 2015
A man helps a patient to wear a mask as a precaution against the possible MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, virus in front of a facility to examine temporarily quarantined people who could be infected with the MERS virus at Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul, South Korea Monday, June 1, 2015. More than 680 people in South Korea are isolated after having contact with patients infected with the virus that has killed hundreds of people in the Middle East, health officials said Monday.(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

A man helps a patient to wear a mask as a precaution against the possible MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, virus in front of a facility to examine temporarily quarantined people who could be infected with the MERS virus at Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul, South Korea Monday, June 1, 2015. More than 680 people in South Korea are isolated after having contact with patients infected with the virus that has killed hundreds of people in the Middle East, health officials said Monday. AP

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea’s health ministry confirmed Tuesday that two people had died from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), the country’s first fatalities from the virus, Yonhap news agency reported.

A 58-year-old woman, who had been treated as a suspected case of MERS, died of acute respiratory failure on Monday and tests later came back positive for the virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

The other victim was a 71-year-old man who had been confirmed to have the virus several days ago. The Yonhap report did not say when the man died.

Yonhap said Tuesday that 25 people have now been diagnosed with the virus, the emergence of which has triggered widespread public alarm.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed hundreds of people when it appeared in Asia in 2003.

South Korea’s first case was reported on May 20 and the health ministry said Monday that a total of 682 people who were exposed directly or indirectly to the virus have now been quarantined or put under special observation.

More than 20 countries have been affected by the virus, which has no known cure or vaccine, with most cases in Saudi Arabia where it has claimed more than 400 lives since 2012.

The South Korean outbreak is the largest among countries outside the Middle East and President Park Geun-Hye has scolded health officials over their “insufficient” response to the outbreak.

Health officials were particularly criticised for allowing an infected man to travel to China last week despite warnings from doctors.

The 44-year-old left on a business trip on Tuesday, a day after his father was diagnosed with the virus, and was confirmed Friday to have been infected himself.

The man flew to Hong Kong before travelling on to the Chinese city of Huizhou, where he is being treated under quarantine.

ADVERTISEMENT

The current outbreak has been traced to a 68-year-old man diagnosed after returning from a trip to Saudi Arabia.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: disease, Health, MERS, MERS deaths, MERS-CoV, SARS, South korea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.