PNR safety questioned; train service suspended
Train operations of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) were suspended Tuesday after the safety of its tracks were put in question following the derailment of two rail cars on April 29, 2015.
Talking to radio dzMM, PNR spokesperson Paul de Quiros said officials decided to indefinitely suspend operations Monday afternoon pending an inspection of the tracks from Tutuban in Manila to Calamba in Laguna.
“Based on a series of meetings, the management decided yesterday to temporarily suspend operations to give way for a thorough and extensive inspection of our rail tracks,” De Quiros said in a mix of Filipino and English.
“We are sacrificing convenience and our profit for the safety of our trains and of course, our passengers,” he added.
He, however, said that he could not give a definite timeline as to how long the inspection will take.
“We are rushing (the inspection), but we don’t want to give a timetable because we want it to be thorough. Once the inspection’s done, we will immediately announce the resumption of the operations,” he said.
The suspension left hundreds of commuters scratching their heads after they trooped to the main terminal in Manila and the other stations early Tuesday only to be informed that train service had been put on hold.
De Quiros apologized to affected patrons, some of whom failed to report for work, radio reports said.
The passengers claimed they only had fare money for the train which usually cost P20 per trip. Taking other means of transport would cost them P80 one way.
Earlier reports said some metal clips used to fasten the rails appeared to have been sawed off and stolen, causing the rails to give way leading to derailment. IDL, CB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.