Binay calls Senate probe on Makati building a ‘fishing expedition’
MANILA, Philippines — The new allegations against Vice President Jejomar Binay validated his decision not to attend Thursday’s hearing of the Senate on the allegedly anomalous construction of the Makati City Hall 2 parking building, his spokesman said.
Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla particularly pointed to former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado’s claim that Binay allegedly used dummies to hide his wealth.
“The supposed documents he presented are far from definitive proof as he alleged,” Remulla said in a statement, referring to the documents that Mercado submitted to the Senate blue ribbon committee involving a lot in Makati City, among others.
“It is part of a fishing expedition that violates the constitutional rights of private individuals, and validates the position taken by Vice President Binay and Mayor (Junjun) Binay in his jurisdictional challenge that the hearings are not in aid of legislation but are meant to tarnish the reputation of the Vice President and his family,” Binay’s spokesman added.
Mercado had earlier accused Binay of receiving kickbacks when he was still the city mayor.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.