Armed woman caught by PSG not part of political scheme
MANILA, Philippines – Is Malacañang using the arrest of a gun-toting woman who intended to scare President Benigno Aquino III to bolster calls for his reelection?
Absurd. That was how Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte described claims that the armed woman who was caught entering Malacañang compound on Friday was part of a scheme to justify Aquino’s future actions.
“No, that’s absurd. That’s far from it. It’s not a scenario. It’s not anything,” Valte said during an interview over state-run radio dzRB on Sunday.
There had been talks lately on the possibility of Aquino seeking a term-extension or a re-election by amending the Philippine Constitution. Concern was also raised when Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda mentioned the likelihood of the 2016 national elections not pushing through.
However, Malacañang has clarified that elections will push through and that while Aquino is open to amending the Charter because of judicial overreach, he has not yet made up his mind when it comes to term extension. It said there are still no moves coming from the Palace to call for Charter change.
Meanwhile, Valte said the arrest of Flora Pineda, the gun-toting woman who attempted to enter the New Executive Building in Malacañang, was proof that security was tight in the compound.
“We always take security very seriously. For those of you who are always in or who frequent the Palace and the other buildings—Mabini and New Executive Building—the security precautions are really strict and that has not changed,” she said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.