Obama authorizes air strikes to prevent Iraq ‘genocide’ | Inquirer News
Close  

Obama authorizes air strikes to prevent Iraq ‘genocide’

/ 11:26 AM August 08, 2014

WASHINGTON–President Barack Obama said Thursday he had authorized US air strikes on Iraq and humanitarian supply drops to prevent a “genocide” by Islamist extremists against minorities.

“We can act, carefully and responsibly, to prevent a potential act of genocide,” Obama said, referring to the attacks against the besieged Yazidi minority, thousands of whom are trapped on a mountain in northern Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I therefore authorized targeted air strikes if necessary to help forces in Iraq as they fight to break the siege and protect the civilians trapped there,” Obama said.

The president said US warplanes could also target Islamic State militants if they advance on the city of Arbil, where the US has a diplomatic presence and advisors to Iraqi forces.

FEATURED STORIES

“We plan to stand vigilant and take action if they threaten our facilities anywhere in Iraq, including the consulate in Arbil and embassy in Baghdad,” he said.

Obama, who did not say whether any air strikes have been carried out yet, said US forces have already started to drop food and water to Iraqis racing to flee the so-called Islamic State fighters.

“Earlier this week, one Iraqi in the area cried to the world, there is no one coming to help. Well, today America is coming to help,” Obama said.

The Pentagon said a US C-17 and two C-130 aircraft escorted by two F/A-18s had dropped thousands of gallons of drinking water and 8,000 packaged meals to the thousands of Yazidis on Mount Sinjar.

The planes stayed over the drop area, at a low altitude, for just 15 minutes, the Pentagon said.

Obama said in a situation like on Mount Sinjar — where innocent people face possible “violence on a horrific scale,” and where Iraq’s government has asked for help — “then I believe the United States of America cannot turn a blind eye.”

Obama, who rose to political prominence as an outspoken critic of his predecessor George W. Bush’s

ADVERTISEMENT

2003 invasion of Iraq, said he was not sending back ground forces.

“As commander in chief, I will not allow the United States to be dragged into fighting another war in Iraq.

“And so even as we support Iraqis as they take the fight to these terrorists, American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq, because there is no American military solution to the larger crisis in Iraq,” he said.

RELATED STORIES:

US weighs airstrikes and humanitarian aid in Iraq

The Jihadist offensive in Iraq a timeline

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Barack Obama, Iraq, strikes, Unrest, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.