Napoles ‘not fit’ to be state witness – Luy’s lawyer
MANILA, Philippines—Detained businesswoman and alleged pork barrel mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles does not have credibility and is “not fit” to become a state witness.
“We are concerned about rumors that Napoles is applying for immunity. Napoles is not fit,” Atty. Raji Mendoza, lawyer of principal whistle blower Benhur Luy said in a televised press briefing.
Mendoza expressed his reservations that the testimonies of Napoles “might not be truthful and there might be a conflict on the testimonies previously exposed by the whistle blowers.”
“What are the material points that can be added to what has already been divulged? If she is not truthful baka magka conflict. Hindi natin alam kung kalian nagsasabi ng katotohanan si Napoles, kailan hindi.” he said.
(What are the material points that can be added to what has already been divulged? If she is not truthful, there might be a conflict. We do not know when Napoles is truthful or not.)
He said Napoles has denied her participation behind the bogus non-government organizations and in receiving kickbacks from anomalous projects during her appearance at a Senate hearing last November.
According to him, Napoles should not be granted immunity.
“We have no qualms if her testimony is used as a confession, but granting her immunity brings discomfort,” he said.
He added that if she is accepted as witness, she may skirt detention, and ask for safekeeping.
On Monday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said Napoles is ready to spill the beans and confirmed the participation of senators Juan Ponce-Enrile, Jose ‘Jinggoy” Estrada, and Ramon “Bong” Revilla” in the multi-billion pork barrel scam.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.