Binay says relocation sites for informal settlers to be revisited, investigated
MANILA, Philippines—Vice President Jejomar Binay on Friday said that all relocation sites for informal settlers would be revisited and investigated following reports some of them were also heavily flooded.
“I would like to use this opportunity to investigate the submerged (relocation sites) in Montalban. Also, I have ordered a review of relocation sites. We will revisit our relocation sites working hand in hand with the DENR,” Binay said in an interview with reporters after he attended the listing of the Bahay Bonds 2 project on the local fixed income exchange Philippine Dealing & Exchange Corp. Friday.
Binay, in a separate statement Tuesday, said a total of 979 informal settler families, who were earlier relocated from Tondo to Rodriguez, Rizal, just before last week’s southwest monsoon rains, were also affected by floods and had to be moved to higher ground.
“I have directed the NHA to determine whether or not to totally abandon the site. If it is still suitable for residential purposes, we need to come up with measures to mitigate flooding in the area,” Binay said, referring to the National Housing Authority.
Binay, in the interview, also said that by next week, they would start the relocation of the affected informal settler families from Happyland Tondo to Towerville in Gaya-gaya, San Jose del Monte.
In his statement Tuesday, Binay noted that 5,363 families in Quezon City, Malabon, Navotas, San Juan and Mandaluyong would be relocated to resettlement buildings of the NHA in Bulacan and Rizal within the week.
The statement said that of the families the NHA identified for relocation, 2,400 are from Manggahan, Pasig; 1,500 from Navotas; 970 from Happyland, Tondo; and Nagtahan and Islang Puting Bato in Manila; 200 from Malabon; 150 from Litex in Quezon City; 75 from San Juan; and 68 from Mandaluyong.
Binay also earlier said that medium-rise buildings would soon be constructed in Metro Manila to serve as permanent relocation sites for informal settlers.
“While the [medium rise buildings] are still to be constructed, the most viable option for relocating these families would be to use the available resettlement sites on a temporary basis,” said Binay said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.