Forthwith? Solons believe strong case vs VP leads to Senate preps

Forthwith? Solons believe strong case vs Duterte leads to Senate preps

/ 07:51 PM April 21, 2026
At least two ranking House of Representatives lawmakers believe that the strong case and evidence presented against Vice President Sara Duterte has prompted the Senate leadership to prepare for a possible impeachment trial.
Vice President Sara Duterte. INQUIRER PHOTO / GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

MANILA, Philippines — At least two ranking House of Representatives lawmakers believe that the strong case and evidence presented against Vice President Sara Duterte has prompted the Senate leadership to prepare for a possible impeachment trial.

In a statement on Tuesday, Assistant Majority Leader and Lanao del Sur Rep. Zia Alonto Adiong said that Senate President Vicente Sotto III’s statements — that the Senate may convene as an impeachment court as early as May 4 should the articles of impeachment against Duterte reach their chamber — is an indication that senators are monitoring developments regarding the complaints.

READ: Senate may convene on May 4 for Duterte impeachment upon transmittal

Article continues after this advertisement

“This early preparation by the Senate is not done without a clear basis.  It suggests that many senators are already seeing that a substantial case is taking shape—one that could justify the House transmitting the Articles of Impeachment,” Adiong said.

FEATURED STORIES

“The Senate is an independent body. It does not act on speculation. The fact that it is already positioning itself to convene indicates that the developments in the House are being closely watched—and taken seriously,” he added.

In a separate statement, Deputy Speaker Paolo Ortega V said that Sotto’s assurance that the Senate will act “forthwith” should remove doubt that there would be a trial.

“What Senate President Tito Sotto said is very clear: that should the articles of impeachment be submitted, the Senate will act quickly.  That sends a strong signal that the process will not be delayed and that accountability will move forward,” Ortega said.

“This should not be delayed or avoided.  Once the House transmits the articles, the Senate must convene and try the case. That is a constitutional command, not a political option,” he added.

Article continues after this advertisement

Sotto said in a press briefing earlier that they can convene by May 4, if they receive the articles of impeachment — adding that the impeachment will be acted upon “forthwith.”

On Saturday, Sotto ally and Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson said that he sees no threat to the Senate leadership despite the possible impeachment trial against Duterte.

Article continues after this advertisement

Lacson said he believes that the Senate majority bloc is still solid.

Two impeachment complaints against Vice President Duterte are still under the jurisdiction of the committee on justice.  Last April 14, the committee tackled allegations of confidential fund misuse within Duterte’s offices, featuring her former aide, Ramil Madriaga.

In his supplemental affidavit, Madriaga claimed that the Vice President ordered her in December 2022 to coordinate with Col. Dennis Nolasco about delivering cash to allies in San Pablo, Laguna; a comedy bar in Quezon City, and the Office of the Ombudsman parking lot as a way of “returning a favor.”

According to Madriaga, four large duffle bags were unloaded from the vehicles, three of them were dark and one was light-colored — containing around P30 million to P35 million each.

This is believed to be the P125 million confidential fund in 2022, which Madriaga said he liquidated in one day and not the reported 11 days.

READ: Madriaga: OVP’s 2022 secret funds spent in 1 day, not 11 days

The panel also tackled findings from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) experts which stated that several of the acknowledgment receipts (ARs) for the OVP’s CF expenditures were signed by the same few persons.

On Wednesday, the second hearing will be held, which committee chair and Batangas Rep. Gerville Luistro said will focus on allegations of unexplained wealth and non-disclosure of assets in her Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth.

After the April 22 hearing, there will be one more hearing on April 29 where another part of the impeachment complaints will be discussed — Duterte’s assassination threats against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta Marcos, and former House Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez.

Ortega said the accusations are grave and cannot be merely brushed aside.

“The accusations are grave — from confidential funds up to discussions of hidden wealth and accountability. These are not issues that can be ignored or brushed aside. They must be tested in a full impeachment trial,” he said.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

“The House is doing the hard work of determining probable cause based on evidence.  Once it is finished and sent to the Senate, there is no reason to stop the trial,” Ortega added. /jpv

TAGS: House of Representatives, Impeachment, News, Sara Duterte

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved