Ombudsman's TF on flood control projects to focus probe on Cebu

Ombudsman’s task force on flood control projects to focus on Cebu

/ 01:37 PM November 07, 2025
This aerial photo shows damaged houses in the aftermath of Typhoon Tino in Talisay, Cebu on November 5, 2025. — Photo by Agence France-Presse
This aerial photo shows damaged houses in the aftermath of Typhoon Tino in Talisay, Cebu on November 5, 2025. — Photo by Agence France-Presse

MANILA, Philippines — Heeding the calls of the people, the Office of the Ombudsman’s special task force formed to oversee investigations into the anomalous flood control projects will prioritize areas affected by Typhoon Tino (international name: Kalmaegi), especially Cebu.

The ombudsman said it is one with the nation that mourns the fatalities and devastation caused by Tino.

Local and national officials, especially in Cebu, were called out over the massive flooding that killed 188 people across Visayas, and highlighted the failure of the multi-billion-peso flood control projects.

Article continues after this advertisement

In particular, netizens recalled the hillside development project, The Rise at Monterezzas in Cebu City, of celebrity engineer Slater Young, who is now receiving backlash over the undertaking that people are pointing at as one of the main reasons for the massive flooding in Cebu.

FEATURED STORIES

“To the families of all victims of the calamity – we hear you, and we have acted,” the ombudsman said in a public statement.

“A special task force previously designated to investigate flood control projects has been instructed to prioritize those projects meant to prevent the onslaught of Typhoon Tino,” it pointed out. “Justice will be pursued with compassion, diligence, and resolve.” /apl

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Cebu, flood control probe, Ombudsman

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved