Close  

Only 2 of 97 tertiary schools in Eastern Visayas approved for tuition hike

By: - Correspondent / @joeygabietaINQ
/ 04:08 PM May 08, 2012

TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines—Only two of the 97 private colleges and universities in Eastern Visayas will increase their tuition fees for school year 2012-2013.

Liberty Garcia, Commission on Higher Education regional director, said the commission has approved the tuition increase requests of Bato Institute of Science and Technology in Bato town, Leyte and the Samar College in Catbalogan City, Samar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia said BIST would increase its tuition by 8 percent, from P196 per unit to P212 while SC would increase its tuition by 9.8 percent, from P263 per unit to P289.

In the last school year, BIST had a student population of more than 570 while SC had 2,272 students.

FEATURED STORIES

Aside from BIST and SC, other private colleges and universities in the region, including three government-run colleges, also sought a tuition increase, Garcia said.

She explained that these schools failed to conduct the mandatory consultation among their respective student organizations.

The CHEd Memorandum Order No. 3, which was issued this year, mandates that the consultation period must be completed not later than February 28 of the academic year preceding the school year for which the intended increases were supposed to take effect.

Garcia said BIST and SC complied with the consultation requirement and were able to satisfy the other requirements. These include the allocation of the 70 percent of the proposed increase for salaries and benefits of the faculty and the remaining 30 percent for the improvement of laboratories and equipment of the school.

She said the needed requirements have to be followed strictly before CHEd allows the schools to impose the tuition increase, which is a “sensitive” an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Education, higher education, News, Regions, tuition
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.