DOT shoots past target of 4.8 million international visitor arrivals in 2023 | Inquirer News

DOT shoots past target of 4.8 million international visitor arrivals in 2023

By: - Reporter / @zacariansINQ
/ 02:50 AM November 29, 2023

Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco

Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco delivers a statement at the first Philippine Golf Tourism Summit on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023. (Photo from her Facebook page)

MANILA, Philippines —  The Department of Tourism (DOT) has breached its target of 4.8 million international visitor arrivals even before the end of the year, Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco said on Wednesday.

“The DOT targeted 4.8 million international arrivals by the end of 2023. We have now welcomed over 4.82 million international visitors, contributing an impressive P404 billion in foreign visitor receipts to date underscoring the value of tourism to our economy,” Frasco said in a statement she delivered at the first Philippine Golf Tourism Summit held at Grand Hyatt Manila.


The exact figure, as of Nov. 27, is 4,822,530 international visitor arrivals.


This, Frasco said, accounted for the bulk of arrivals  — 91.88 percent. The remaining 8.12 percent — or 391,805 — were returning overseas Filipinos.

READ: DOT launches one-stop call center for tourism concerns

READ: DOT sees positive outlook for PH after winning back-to-back travel awards

READ: DOT sees tourism sector employing 34 million Filipinos by 2028

According to Frasco, South Korea remained the Philippines’ top source of foreign arrivals, accounting for 1,271,602 tourists or 26.37 percent of the total.

The other countries are as follows:

  • United States with 797,181 or 16.53 percent
  • Japan with 272,735  or 5.66 percent
  • China with 242,107  or 5.02 percent
  • Australia with 225,464 or 4.68 percent

The high number of arrivals has made tourism the country’s second highest driver of economic growth, Frasco said, citing national economic managers.

“This cements our position as one of the strongest pillars of the Philippine economy that employs no less than 5.35 million Filipinos in the tourism industry sector, ensuring jobs, livelihood, and the well-being of communities all over the country,” she said.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Christina Frasco, Department of Tourism, international visitor arrivals, Philippine Golf Tourism Summit

© Copyright 1997-2024 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.