QC-PLEB surprised Abong still active in PNP despite March dismissal order
MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City People’s Law Enforcement Board (PLEB) was surprised that Mark Julio Abong — a police officer who was arrested for firing a gun outside a bar — is still an active member of the national police even after it ordered his dismissal from service earlier this year in relation to a hit-and-run case in 2022.
Last March 27, PLEB released its decision removing Police Lt. Col. Mark Julio Abong from the service for his alleged involvement in a cover-up of a hit-and-run incident that killed a tricycle driver in August last year.
Citing the law, QC-PLEB executive officer and lawyer Rafael Calinisan said Abong was found guilty “for the grave offenses of misconduct, grave neglect of duty, and conduct of unbecoming a police officer with aggravating circumstances of employment of fraudulent means to conceal an offense.”
Calinisan likewise emphasized that the decisions of the board are “final and executory” as stated in the Republic Act (RA) 6975 or the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Act of 1990; RA 8551 Philippine National Police Reform and Reorganization Act of 1998; and National Police Commission Circulars 2016-002, and 2019-005.
“It is definitely wrong and extremely surprising for us in the PLEB […] In fact, nabahala kami that Abong is still considered an active member of the Philippine National Police (PNP), and he’s introducing himself as an active member of the police,” Calinisan told reporters in an interview on Monday.
(We are worried that Abong is still considered an active member of the PNP, and he’s introducing himself as an active police member.)
The QC-PLEB official added that they sent copies of the dismissal order after releasing its ruling in March — even to PNP’s Legal Service department, where Abong currently serves.
“Hopefully, it’s just a miscommunication, but as far as we are concerned, we have sent our decision in March to all concerned offices,” Calinisan reiterated.
Currently, Abong is under the custody of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit.
Earlier Monday, QCPD said Abong was charged with the illegal discharge of firearms, alarm, and scandal, and violating the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act in relation to the Omnibus Election code, as well as physical injury and slander by deed. It filed the case before the QC Prosecutor’s Office on Sunday.
Based on police report, Abong was collared by Kamuning Police Station operatives in front of a bar along Scout Rallos corner Scout Tobias Street in Barangay Laging Handa around 1 a.m. on Sunday.
His arrest stemmed from assaulting a bar server and harassing one of the customers outside the establishment by firing his gun twice.
Before this case, Abong was also charged with the death of Joel Larosa and the injury of the tricycle driver’s passenger in a hit-and-run case near Anonas Street in Quezon City.
Reports revealed that Larosa’s family lodged criminal complaints against Abong, accusing him and three other police officers of trying to whitewash the case by reportedly using a certain Ronald Centino as scapegoat.