INQUIRER.net report on risks, gains of law on vaping wins new Bright Leaf Award
MANILA, Philippines—A special report by INQUIRER.net on the then proposed law on vaping was recognized as the first-ever Best Story in Tobacco Product Alternatives in this year’s Bright Leaf Agriculture Journalism Awards.
The report, “Vape Bill: Unresolved debate on vaping’s risks, benefits now to reach Duterte’s table,” written by Cristina Eloisa Baclig, was published on April 21, 2022 and presented a “balanced view of the Vape Bill by presenting both sides of the debate.”
Baclig is a content researcher and writer for INQFocus, a channel on INQUIRER.net dedicated to research, features, and special reports, and her winning report was the second in a two-part report she worked on regarding the then proposed law.
The bill became law last year.
Baclig’s report, which highlighted the debate on the risks and benefits of vaping and the then proposed law, was edited by news desk head Tony Bergonia and contained comprehensive visuals by INQFocus graphic artist Ed Lustan.
Her award was received on Monday (Nov. 13) by INQUIRER.net editor in chief Abelardo Ulanday at the 16th Bright Leaf Agriculture Journalism Awards ceremony in Makati City, which had the theme “Harvesting Progress.”
The Bright Leaf Agriculture Journalism Awards, committed to promoting and creating awareness on current agricultural issues and best farming practices, recognizes the most outstanding and relevant reports in print, broadcast, and online media.
It “builds a sense of community and integrity among agricultural journalists and media practitioners, while still emphasizing the value of telling stories about Philippine agriculture and providing hope and inspiration to their readers.”
The awards were launched in 2007 by Philip Morris Philippines Manufacturing and was continued by PMFTC Inc., the company created out of the union of Philip Morris Philippines Manufacturing Inc. and Fortune Tobacco Corp.
Every year, winners receive a variety of prizes, including cash, a trip to a destination in Asia, and a Bright Leaf trophy.
Other awardees were as follows:
- Agriculture Story of the Year: Henry Empeño of Business Mirror
- Best Agriculture TV Story: Shyla Francisco of News 5
- Best Agriculture Radio Story: Zhander Cayabyab of RMN DZXL 558
- Best Agriculture News Story (National): Carmela Reyes-Estrope of Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Best Agriculture News Story (Regional): Erwin Nicavera of SunStar Bacolod
- Best Agriculture Feature Story (National): Cai Ordinario, Jovee Marie de la Cruz, and Jovy Noelle Rodriguez of Business Mirror
- Best Agriculture Feature Story (Regional): Genory Vanz Alfasain of SunStar Davao
- Best Online Story: Jervis Manahan of ABS-CBN News
- Best Tobacco Story: Bong Sarmiento of Mindanews
- Tobacco Photo of the Year: Wilfredo Lomibao of Sunday Punch
- Agriculture Photo of the Year: Rhoy Cobilla