Pasig City launches Pag-asa scholarship program for tertiary students
MANILA, Philippines — The local government unit of Pasig City launched the Private Education for the Advancement of Grassroots through Academic Scholarship Assistance (Pag-asa) scholarship program on Wednesday.
Under the program, eligible students residing in Pasig who will enter their first year of tertiary education in priority programs in participating schools in Pasig City will receive not more than P35,000 per semester, which comes with conditions to retain their scholarship.
The priority progams are as follows:
- Business Administration/ Entrepreneurship/ Management/ Marketing/ Finance
- English/ Journalism/ Communications
- Hospitality Management/ Tourism
- Information Technology/ Computer Science
- Political Science
Meanwhile, students must have the following requirements to be eligible for the Pag-asa scholarship:
- Filipino citizen
- Pasig resident for at least two years prior to the deadline of submission of requirements
- Included in the Listahanan (National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction) or monthly household income must not exceed P30,000.00
- Enrolled as first year student to a priority program in a Commission on Higher Education-accredited private Higher Education Institution (HEI) or Technical Education And Skills Development Authority-accredited private Technical Vocational Institution (TVI) located in Pasig City, provided that there is an existing Memorandum of Agreement between the City Government of Pasig and the HEI or TVI
- With good moral character and without any derogatory record
- Not a scholar of any scholarship program or study grant
In the launch program of the scholarship, Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto said that while the programs will start off with a few hundred beneficiaries, plans will be made to accommodate more residents of Pasig City who want to pursue tertiary education.
“We’ll start maybe with a few hundred scholars, but really the goal here is for all Pasigueños who want to go to tertiary, who want to finish their tertiary studies, who want to go to college, at kaya, ito ang tamang pathway para sa kanila, na dapat lahat mabigyan ng pagkakataon sa pamamagitan ng Pag-asa scholarship program,” Sotto said.
(We’ll start maybe with a few hundred scholars, but really the goal here is for all Pasigueños who want to go to tertiary, who want to finish their tertiary studies, who want to go to college, and they can, that this is the right pathway for them, that all should be given chances at education through the Pag-asa scholarship program.)