Negros Occidental town declares state of calamity due to Egay
BACOLOD CITY — A town that was the hardest hit by Typhoon Egay in Negros Occidental last week has declared a state of calamity, Mayor Jilson Tubillara said on Monday, July 31.
The foul weather affected 5,579 families with 19,594 members in San Enrique town, the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) said.
Also destroyed were 16 houses while 426 others were damaged in nine out of the ten barangays of the town.
The Office of the Provincial Agriculturist placed the initial damage to crops in San Enrique at P4,763,295, affecting 310 farmers. Damage to livestock was also placed at P520,080 by the Provincial Veterinary Office.
Tubillara said San Enrique was hit by flash floods with water coming from La Carlota City, Murcia, and part of Bago City.
The flooding that happened during high tide lasted for less than a day.
Tubillara estimated the damage to the town’s crops and fishponds at no less than P10 million.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development also provided food assistance to the affected San Enrique residents, Tubillara said.