PDEA destroys over P7.2-B worth of dangerous drugs, precursor chemicals
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Tuesday destroyed dangerous drugs, controlled precursors and essential chemicals worth over P7.2 billion.
PDEA said the operation took place at Integrated Waste Management, Inc. in Trece Martires City in Cavite, where 1,426 kilograms of drugs seized from several anti-drug operations were destroyed.
Based on the report of the PDEA laboratory service, the quantity of the destroyed drug evidence and their estimated value are:
- 1,060 kg of methamphetamine or “shabu” worth P7.2 billion
- 317.4 kg of marijuana worth P38 million
- 230 grams of cocaine worth P1.2 million
- 9.1 kg MDMA or ecstasy worth P15.5 million
- 1.037 kg of ketamine worth P4.04 million
- 379.0000 milliliters of GBL worth P563,762.50
- 0.3600 grams of diazepam worth P13.95
- 34.9 kg of methylephedrine
- 2,849.20 milliliters of liquid marijuana
- 258,324.00 milliliters of toluene;
- 101,550,000.00 milliliters of MEK;
- 1.8 kg of ephedrine
- 0.6500 grams of amphetamine
- 1.015 kg of codeine
- 1 milliliters of meth HCl
PDEA said the pieces of drug evidence were destroyed through thermal decomposition or thermolysis, which involves breaking down chemical compounds with tremendous heat.
“At 1,000 degrees centigrade, all dangerous drugs are totally decomposed or broken down,” the agency said in a press release.
It added that the destruction of the dangerous drugs complies with the guidelines set on the custody and disposition of seized dangerous drugs under Republic Act No. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, and Dangerous Drugs Board Regulation No. 1, Series of 2002.
Representatives from the Department of Justice, the Department of the Interior and Local Government, the Philippine National Police and other law enforcement agencies, non-government organizations, local officials of Trece Martires City and media partners, and key PDEA officials witnessed the said activity, PDEA said.
PDEA destroys record ₱14.29B illegal drugs in Cavite
PDEA destroys more than P5-B worth of illegal drugs
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.