Marcos admin considering mid-rise, high-rise condos for social housing | Inquirer News

Marcos admin considering mid-rise, high-rise condos for social housing

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 12:38 PM December 05, 2022

MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Monday said his administration might change the concept of providing housing units to the country’s poor in order to adapt to the changing of the times.

ADVERTISEMENT

In his speech at the turnover ceremony of 30,000 housing units in Naic, Cavite, Marcos said the government might explore building mid-rise to high-rise condominiums noting the lack of available lands, especially in urban areas.

“Sa takbo nito, magbabago ang ating konsepto. Dati ang konsepto ay bahay at lupa. Ngunit, lalo na sa mga urban areas, wala nang lupa. Mahirap nang makahanap ng lupa,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

(With the current times, the concept of giving housing will change. Before, the government gave houses and lots. But today, there are no more lots, especially in urban areas. It’s hard to find lots.)

“Siguro mas efficient kung gagawa tayo ng mid-rise na tinatawag. Baka siguro pataasin natin, baka pwede na natin gawing high-rise na. Ngunit pag-aaralan natin, siguro case-to-case ito,” he added.

(It may be more efficient to build mid-rise units. Maybe we can even go for high-rise units. But we will still study it, and it will be on a case-to-case basis.)

READ: Marcos aims to build 1 million low-cost houses annually: ‘We will try very, very hard’

He said the government would make sure to provide housing units at ideal locations such as near schools and markets, and possibly an hour away from workplaces.

The President also asked local government units and the private sector to ensure that beneficiaries of housing units will be safe and provided with all their needs.

“Mahalagang mabigyan ang ating mga kababayan ng pangkabuhayan, tulong, upang malubos nila ang paninirahan sa kanilang mga bagong tahanan,” Marcos said.

ADVERTISEMENT

(It is important that we give Filipinos livelihood and help so they can get the most out of their new homes.)

READ: Bongbong Marcos’ flagship housing project breaks ground in Quezon City

Marcos also cited the commitment of Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Secretary Jose Rizalino Acuzar to build one million houses per year.

Acuzar, a veteran home builder and property developer, previously admitted that the government’s Pambansang Pabahay para sa Pilipino is indeed ambitious but gave assurance that it can be done.

But he had warned that the country’s housing backlog may hit 11 million units by 2028 if the government fails to fund the Marcos administration’s ambitious program.

RELATED STORIES

Expectation vs reality in housing programs

Measly budget for the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development: Only P3.9B for 2023

Gov’t pledges 1 million homes every year

KGA
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bongbong Marcos, Housing
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.