Magnitude 5.1 earthquake rocks Ilocos Norte
MANILA, Philippines – A magnitude 5.1 earthquake jolted Ilocos Norte late Thursday evening, said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).
According to state seismologists, the tremor’s epicenter was eight kilometers southeast of the town of Burgos. It was recorded at 11:05 p.m.
The earthquake was tectonic in origin and had a depth of focus of 22 kilometers, Phivolcs said in its bulletin.
The agency noted that the following intensities were felt in these areas:
- Intensity V or “strong” vibrations – Adams, Bacarra, Bangui, Burgos, City of Laoag, Pagudpud, and Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte
- Intensity IV or “moderately strong” vibrations – Badoc, City of Batac, Carasi, Currimao, Dumalneg, Pinili, and San Nicolas,
- Ilocos Norte; Sinait, and City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur
- Intensity III or “weak” vibrations – San Vicente, Ilocos Sur
- Intensity I or “scarcely perceptible” vibrations – Bantay, Ilocos Sur
Instrumental intensities were likewise recorded by Phivolcs in these places:
- Intensity IV – Pasuquin and City of Laoag, Ilocos Norte
- Intensity III – Claveria, Peñablanca and Gonzaga, Cagayan; City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur
- Intensity I – City of Tabuk, Kalinga; Santol, La Union; City of Ilagan, Isabela
While no damage is expected from the tremor, state seismologists warned the public about possible aftershocks that may occur.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.