NKTI struggling as ER bursting at the seams 3 times over capacity
MANILA, Philippines — The National Kidney and Transplant Institute’s (NKTI) administration announced on Wednesday that the facility’s emergency room was at capacity and that patients should seek care at facilities elsewhere.
The NKTI said its emergency room was overwhelmed as it had already reached three times its capacity, which included patients with COVID-19 and leptospirosis.
“Ito ay sa dahilang wala na ring bakanteng kuwarto sa mga wards [this is because there are no more vacant rooms in the wards],” said NKTI in an advisory signed by executive director Dr. Rose Marie Rosete-Liquete
“Dagdag pa rito ang kakulangan ng mga nurses sa NKTI na siyang isa sa mga pinakamalaking problemang hinahanap ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan [Department of Health (DOH)] sa buong bansa,” the NKTI added.
(In addition to this is the lack of nurses in NKTI, which is one of the biggest problems facing the DOH nationwide.)
It then advised the public to call the National Patient Navigation and Referral Center or One Hospital Command at 0919-977-3333; 0917-878-7418; (02) 886-505-00, PLDT-1555 (Option 2), 0915-777-7777.
The NKTI also provided a list of other private hospitals in Metro Manila that provide medical assistance to indigent patients under an agreement with DOH:
- Axcess Health Care, Inc., Malabon City
- Ace Medical Center (Valenzuela), Valenzuela City
- St. Camillus Medical Center, Pasig City
- Marikina St. Vincent General Hospital, Marikina City
- Marikina Valley Medical Center, Marikina City
- Bernardino General Hospital, Quezon City
- Capitol Medical Center, Quezon City
- Dr. Montano G. Ramos General Hospital, Quezon City
- World Citi Medical Center, Quezon City
- Providence Hospital, Quezon City
- Mary Johnston Hospital, Manila City
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Manila City
- Chinese General Hospital and Medical Center, Manila City
- Medical Center Muntinlupa, Muntinlupa City
- Asian Hospital and Medical Center, Muntinlupa City
- Our Lady of Peace Hospital, Paranaque City
- Olivarez General Hospital, Paranaque City
- Unihealth Paranaque Hospital and Medical Center, Paranaque City
- The Perpetual Help Medical Center- Las Piñas, Las Piñas City
- San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc-Hospital, Pasay City
Paalala mula sa NKTI (Emergency Room Services):Sa kasalukuyan ay dagsa ang mga pasyente sa NKTI. Karamihan sa kanila…
Meanwhile, DOH, in a statement, said that it is now in close coordination with NKTI to address the situation, adding that DOH Undersecretary Nestor Santiago is now at NKTI to “assess the situation and ensure that all patients who will be going to NKTI will be effectively referred to nearby hospitals for appropriate management.”
“Rest assured that the DOH is on top of this and will ensure that all patients seeking care will be accommodated. We will be providing more updates as we receive them,” it added.
It then reminded the public with non-urgent health concerns to first contact the National Patient Navigation and Referral Center or One Hospital Command to secure accommodation.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.