Percy Lapid slay: DOJ prosecutor merges murder complaints vs Bantag, gunman
MANILA, Philippines — The government prosecutor has consolidated the three murder complaints filed against suspended Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director General Gerald Bantag and confessed gunman Joel Escorial.
Specifically, Prosecutor General Benedicto Malcontento of the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) National Prosecution Office said, two murder complaints that were filed against Bantag for the death of Percy Lapid (real name: Percival Mabasa) and supposed middleman Cristito Palaña (formerly identified by authorities as Jun or Crisanto Villamor), as well as the murder complaint filed against Escorial over Lapid’s assassination, were merged.
Also, Malcontento told reporters that the DOJ had created a three-member panel to handle the complaints. Deputy State Prosecutor Olivia Torrevillas lead the panel, while Senior Assistant State Prosecutors Josie Christina Dugay and Charlie Guhit are designated as members.
READ: TIMELINE: Veteran radioman Percy Lapid’s slay case
Lapid was killed in an ambush near his neighborhood in Las Piñas City on October 3. His death sparked widespread condemnation and a high-profile investigation.
Escorial surrendered and was presented to the media on October 18, the same day Palaña was reported dead inside the New Bilibid Prison.
Complaints were filed Monday, November 7, against Bantag and others allegedly involved in the murder of Lapid before the DOJ-Office of the Prosecutor General. Bantag is being accused of giving the order to kill Lapid and Palaña.
What we know so far: Bantag and those linked to Percy Lapid, middleman slays
Persons higher than Bantag may be named masterminds in Lapid slay — Mabasa lawyer
Lapid case principal accused Bantag, BuCor exec urged to surrender now
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.