2 DSWD execs sacked after Cavite mayor complained of strict requirements for aid
MANILA, Philippines — Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Erwin Tulfo ordered the relief of two department regional directors in Cavite after Noveleta Mayor Dino Chua complained of alleged strict requirements being asked from families recently affected by calamity.
Tulfo also ordered an investigation on the complaint of Mayor Chua on the alleged demand for several requirements by the DSWD personnel before releasing aids to the constituents last Monday, October 31.
In connection to this, Tulfo has temporarily transferred Region 4A Director Barry Chua and Assistant Regional Director Mylah Gatchalian to the DSWD Central Office while the Office of the Secretary conducts an investigation into the complaint.
It was learned that Assistant Secretary Maritess Maristela of the Special Concerns Division will temporary take the place of Director Chua.
Mayor Chua in his complaint said, “kung anu-ano ang hinihingi ng DSWD, e binagyo na nga yung tao, pinapahirapan pa nila. Hinihingan nila ng ID, indigency certificate, residency certificate at kung ano- ano pa. Sabi nga ng pangulo wag na pahirapan ang tao.”
(Many requirements are being asked, people had been ravaged by the recent typhoon then they want people to suffer some more by demanding indigency certificate, residency certificate, ID, among others. The President has spoken already not to add burden to these people.)
According to the mayor, the food packs given by the DSWD in his area were not enough. He added that only 200 from 500 families were given food packs, so he’s the one who gave food packs to the remaining 300 families.
But, records from the DSWD showed that a total of 1,600 food packs were delivered by DSWD National Resource Operation Center (NROC) to the municipal hall of Noveleta on October 30, a day before the relief distribution.
“I don’t know kung bakit nasabi ni Mayor Chua na kulang ang food pack na pinadala namin sa kanya gayong 1,600 ang diniliver namin sa kanyang munisipyo one day before the distribution day,” Tulfo said.
(I don’t know why Mayor Chua said that food packs from the DSWD were not enough but 1,600 were actually delivered to his municipality a day before the actual distribution.)
He also explained that there is really a need for the DSWD to verify the beneficiaries, especially those who will receive cash assistance, because this is the requirement of the Commission on Audit (COA).
Tulfo said, “hinihingan po talaga namin ng ID yung mga benepisyaryo. Pero pag wala pong ID lalo na during calamities, kailangan nasa listahan ang pangalan nila sa barangay.”
(We really ask for ID from the beneficiaries. But if they do not have it especially after the calamity, they should be in the list of the barangay.)
“Pero ang nangyari sa Noveleta, wala pong ID yung natitirang 300 katao at wala sa listahan ng barangay o hindi kilala ng mga barangay officials ang mga humihingi ng cash ayuda ng mga oras na yun,” Tulfo added. “Ano pong ipapakita naman namin sa COA kung tanungin kami kanino namin ibinigay ang mga pera kung walang ID o wala sila sa listahan ng barangay.”
(But in the case of Noveleta beneficiaries, they do not have an ID and they are not listed in the barangay. What shall we say to the COA, what are we going to show them when we are asked where the cash aid went.)
“Siguro kailangan mag-imbestiga rin talaga ni Mayor Chua kung totoo ang mga sumbong sa kanya dahil marami pong kumakalat na fake news [Mayor Chua should investigate if the complaints he received are legit because a lot of fake news are going around],” the secretary said.
Paeng displaces thousands of families in Calabarzon
Paeng leaves 16 deaths in Calabarzon
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.