Paeng death toll climbs to 98 — NDRRMC
MANILA, Philippines – The wrath of tropical storm Paeng (international name: Nalgae) has resulted in 98 reported deaths, so far, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday.
In its 6 a.m. situational repor, the NDRRMC said only 58 of these deaths have been confirmed – 53 in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Barmm), three in Western Visayas, and two in Soccsksargen (Cotabato, Saranggani, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat).
Meanwhile, the agency noted that the 40 casualties, which have yet to be validated, were logged across Western Visayas, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Bicol region, and Soccsksargen.
The NDRRMC also reported around 63 missing persons amid the onslaught of Paeng with 25 of those confirmed and 38 still up for validation.
On the other hand, 69 individuals were injured from 1,014 Paeng-related incidents, which are mostly related to floods and landslides, it added.
Around 1.95 million individuals, or 590,990 families, were affected by Paeng’s fury over the weekend, the NDRRMC said.
It also pinned the number of displaced individuals at 975,374.
The cost of damage to 4,188 houses across the country was pegged at P12.415 million, while the worth of infrastructure damage was valued at about P757.841 million.
The agency detailed that more than 24,813 farmers and fisherfolk suffered losses worth some P435.464 million due to Paeng.
Click here for more weather related news.
Responding to appeals for help, the Inquirer is extending its relief efforts to the families affected by Typhoon Paeng. Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No.: 007960018860 and through Maya
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.