Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits Dinagat Islands
MANILA, Philippines — A magnitude 4.7 earthquake struck Dinagat Island on Tuesday afternoon, state seismologists reported.
The tremor, which was tectonic in origin, occurred 61 kilometers east of Loreto town in Dinagat Islands, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) bulletin.
It occurred at 3:13 p.m., with a shallow depth of 18 kilometers.
Aftershocks are not expected after this earthquake and the tremor is also unlikely to cause damage, according to Phivolcs.
The said intensities reported in the following areas:
- Intensity IV – Surigao City
- Intensity III – San Ricardo, San Francisco, Liloan, and Pintuyan, Southern Leyte
- Intensity II – Saint Bernard, Silago, Anahawan, and Hinunangan, Southern Leyte; Abuyog, Hilongos, and La Paz, Leyte
Instrumental intensities are also reported in the following areas:
- Intensity III – Surigao City; San Francisco, Southern Leyte
- Intensity II – Abuyog, Leyte
- Intensity I – Saint Bernard and Sogod, Southern Leyte; Baybay City, Hilongos, and Dulag, Leyte; Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.