SRA officials should resign after ‘illegal sugar order’ – Zubiri | Inquirer News

SRA officials should resign after ‘illegal sugar order’ – Zubiri

/ 12:03 AM August 14, 2022
Juan Miguel “Migz” F. Zubiri. STORY: SRA officials should resign after ‘illegal sugar order’ – Zubiri

Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri (File photo from the Senate Public Relations and Information Bureau)

MANILA, Philippines — The officials of the Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA) should resign for taking part in an unauthorized order to import sugar,  Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri in an interview on Saturday on AM radio DWIZ.

“I’m planning to give a privilege speech on Monday, asking those, of course, those who were participating in this illegal sugar order to resign from their post. They should resign,” Zubiri said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He noted that Agriculture Undersecretary Leocadio Sebastian had already resigned for signing Sugar Order No. 4 without the authorization of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., who is also the secretary of the Department of Agriculture.

“I was somewhat happy that Usec Sebastian resigned. But my question is: Why haven’t the other officials of the Sugar Regulatory Administration handed in their resignation letter?” Zubiri said, speaking in a mix of Filipino and English.

FEATURED STORIES

“Cases should be filed against them. Imagine, they got President Marcos in trouble by saying that they were importing on behalf of the president. Walang hiya sila [They are shameless],” Zubiri said.

“They should resign and they should be charged to teach them a lesson. That is not right,” he added.

Sugar Order No. 4, authorizing the importation of 300,000 metric tons of sugar, was uploaded to the website of the Sugar Regulatory Administration. The document shows Sebastian signing on behalf of the president.

Hours later, the Palace denied the said document, saying the president rejected the proposal.

Sebastian has apologized for the incident.

RELATED STORIES

DA exec quits after ‘illegal’ resolution on sugar importation

ADVERTISEMENT

Bongbong Marcos rejects proposal to import add’tl 300,000 MT of sugar

Palace: Heads will roll for sugar import mess

atm
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Juan Migel Zubiri, sugar importation, Sugar Regulatory Administration
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.