Congo expels U.N. peacekeeping mission spokesman after protests | Inquirer News

Congo expels U.N. peacekeeping mission spokesman after protests

/ 07:26 PM August 03, 2022
United Nations peacekeeping troops patrol the streets in armoured personnel carriers on election day in Democratic Republic of Congo's capital Kinshasa July 30, 2006. REUTERS/Finbarr O'Reilly/File Photo

FILE PHOTO: United Nations peacekeeping troops patrol the streets in armoured personnel carriers on election day in Democratic Republic of Congo’s capital Kinshasa July 30, 2006. REUTERS/Finbarr O’Reilly/File Photo

KINSHASA (Reuters) – Democratic Republic of Congo has asked the spokesman of the U.N. peacekeeping mission, MONUSCO, to leave the country, blaming him for stoking tensions that led to deadly protests last week.

Thirty-six people, including four U.N. peacekeepers, were killed last week as hundreds of protesters vandalized and set fire to U.N. buildings in several cities in Congo’s east.

ADVERTISEMENT

Civilians accuse the mission, which has been active for more than a decade, of failing to protect them from militia violence that has long plagued the region.

The government said that the spokesman, Mathias Gillmann, had made “indelicate and inappropriate” statements which contributed to the tensions between the population and MONUSCO.

FEATURED STORIES

“The Congolese government considers that the presence of this official on the national territory is not likely to promote a climate of mutual trust and calm between Congolese institutions and MONUSCO,” said the statement from the foreign affairs ministry dated July 28 and seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

Gillmann and MONUSCO’s deputy spokesperson did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Congolese government also said this week that it would reassess the mission’s withdrawal plan in light of the protests, a decision which MONUSCO said it supported.

The mission is due to withdraw by 2024 according to a plan drawn up last year, but the government aims to speed up its departure, said foreign affairs minister Christophe Lutundula.

RELATED STORIES:

Congo says Rwandan forces supported latest rebel attacks as thousands flee

Eight drowned, 20 missing in DR Congo shipwreck

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Congo, Protests, United Nations (UN), world news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.