Chinese rocket debris found near Mindoro Strait | Inquirer News
Close  

Chinese rocket debris found near Mindoro Strait

/ 05:15 AM August 03, 2022

MANILA, Philippines — Suspected fallen rocket fairings from China’s launch of its most powerful rocket have been found by Filipino fishermen near Mindoro Strait.

ADVERTISEMENT

The wreckage, which appeared to be part of the payload module’s covers that were jettisoned shortly after launch, bore markings similar to the Long March 5B. They were found afloat by local fishermen some 27 nautical miles northeast of Dimipac Island in Busuanga, Palawan, on July 26, according to a Philippine Coast Guard report seen by the Inquirer.

The fishermen only brought back with them part of the debris as these were too large. The portion they retrieved, which measured one meter in width and five meters in diameter was turned over to the Coast Guard Station Mamburao in Mindoro. It was expected to be brought to Manila by Tuesday evening.

FEATURED STORIES

Fishermen examine debris believed to be from a Chinese rocket launched last month. STORY: Chinese rocket debris found near Mindoro Strait

HUGE FIND | Fishermen examine debris believed to be from a Chinese rocket launched last
month. (Photo from the Philippine Coast Guard)

PH twice hit

The Chinese rocket, which was launched on July 24, had been controversial after its rocket core fell to the earth’s airspace uncontrolled on July 31, five days after the fallen rocket fairings were found by fishermen. Sightings of the rocket core burning up upon its reentry were reported by witnesses in Malaysia.

The debris was reported to have fallen around 12:55 a.m. on July 31 over the Sulu Sea area near Palawan, the Philippine Space Agency (PhilSA) said.

Although the rocket parts were expected to have disintegrated upon reentry, the PhilSA advised the public to be vigilant and watch out for floating debris.

“This means we’ve been hit twice by debris from this launch: at the beginning, and at the end of the rocket’s flight,” Jay Batongbacal of the University of the Philippines Institute for the Maritime Affairs and the Law of the Sea told the Inquirer.

“This shows that the risk is higher for us, because we are under the flight path of most Chinese rocket launches,” he said.

There were no reported sightings of the Chinese rocket core debris so far, according to the Western Command in Palawan.

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration earlier criticized China for not sharing the “specific trajectory information” as the rocket fell back to earth. Beijing has previously allowed its rockets to return to earth unguided at least twice.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORY

Burning space rocket debris lights up Iberian skies

News handpicked by our editors


Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chinese rocket debris, Philippine Coast Guard, Philippine Space Agency
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.