Macau extends COVID-19 shutdown of city, casinos stay open
HONG KONG — Macau extended its COVID-19 restrictions including the closure of bars, cinemas, hair salons and outdoor parks from Thursday, its chief executive said as the world’s biggest gambling hub battles to curb a rise in locally transmitted cases.
Casinos are allowed to remain open while theatres, fitness centres, and leisure facilities must halt operations from 5 p.m. local time on Thursday, Ho Iat Seng said in a statement on the government’s website.
Only takeaway is allowed from dining facilities.
Macau’s more than 600,000 residents were required to undergo a second round of mass testing this week, as the number of infected people jumped to more than 100 cases.
Positive cases include those working or visiting the casinos with a number of them related to a wedding banquet that was held inside SJM Holding’s Grand Lisboa Palace.
A hotel and casino resort on Macau’ main peninsula was locked down by authorities on Tuesday due to a coronavirus infection, with some 700 people forced to quarantine.
Macau’s previous coronavirus outbreak was in October last year and the city has not previously had any large scale quarantine or lockdown. Macau’s cases are still far below daily infections in places including neighbouring Hong Kong where infections have jumped to over 1,000 in recent days.
A Chinese-ruled former Portuguese colony, Macau adheres to Beijing’s “zero COVID” policy that aims to eradicate all outbreaks, at just about any cost, running counter to a global trend of trying to co-exist with the virus.
Casino revenues are likely to be close to zero in the coming weeks, analysts said.
Hong Kong’s outbreak this year saw more than 1 million confirmed infections, and more than 9,000 deaths, swamping hospitals and public services. Officials there say they are unlikely to further tighten restrictions as the pressure on medical services has not increased.
Macau has only one public hospital and its services are already stretched on a daily basis. The territory’s swift plan to test its entire population comes as it keeps open the border with mainland China, with many residents living and working in next-door Chinese city Zhuhai.
Macau shuts most businesses amid COVID-19 outbreak, casinos stay open
Macau to begin mass COVID-19 testing amid locally transmitted cases
Macau to test population after four new COVID-19 cases
DFA: 203 Filipinos repatriated from Macau
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.